Thursday, May 27, 2010

Beautiful Jarrah

26/05/10  Spent a great afternoon sourcing wood for my pendants and went to see the lovely guys - Ken Maclean and Greg Steel from The Timber Slab Factory. Ken and Greg have extensive experience in all aspects of timber production, from sourcing logs, milling and furniture manufacture. Recognized internationally, they have undertaken such projects as the Olympic Spears for the Sydney 2000 Olympic Games. 

After selecting some beautiful Jarrah, I visited Stuart at Newman Guitars as I have contracted him to cut some of my wood.  Stuart is a Master Luthier, and served an apprenticeship with Master Luthier Paul Doyle (maker for U2 , Hothouse Flowers, The Pogues) in Galway, on the west coast of Ireland.  I had the honour of seeing some of Stuart's beautiful guitars and a harp that has made. 

Seeing these beautiful instruments reminded me of my Uncle, Richard Taylor - an amazing Master Craftsman and maker of Spinnets and Clavichords.  

Richard Taylor Clavichord

My brother - Harvey Lim, has one of these exquisite pieces on display in his Canadian Gallery & Studio:  Art Junction, Whistler, BC Canada.  Harvey's currently moving his Gallery and picture framing studio to a few doors down and I wish him all the best in the move.



No comments:

Post a Comment